Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources has set the following rules
regarding the operations of radio controlled aircraft within the boundries of the Hillman State
The only approved area where radio controlled aircraft is permitted to operate is on the established
runways at the Model Airplane Field
(also known as the K. Leroy Irvis Radio Control Model Airport) in Hillman State Park. The Hillman
State Park Model Airplane Field is operated and maintained by the
Greater Pittsburgh Aero Radio Control Society model airplane club.(flying site organization)
Members of the GPARCS flying club are required to maintain current AMA membership.
Any non-member of the GPARCS flying club must preregister with the park office and maintain and
display a current Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) membership in order to utilize the facility.
The park office located at Raccoon Creek State Park during the hours of 8a.m. to 4p.m Monday through
- Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
- Be kept within unobstructed visual line of sight of the operator at all times
- The operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard
eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft.
- People other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual
line of sight.
- Remain card clear of, give way to, and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations.
- Not fly within 5 miles of an airport.
- Not be operated over or near any person not directly involved in the operation.
- Not weigh more than 55 lbs. including any payload or fuel.
- Not be operated carelessly or recklessly.
- Not disturb or harass wildlife.
- Not interfere with search and rescue, law enforcement, or other emergency operations.
- Not operate while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Daylight only operation – official sunrise to sunset, local time.
- Maximum airspeed of 100 mph (87 knots).
- No person may act as an operator for more than one UAS at one time.
- Requires preflight inspection of the UAS by the operator.
- Not produce a noise/sound reading of 90 decibels or greater at a distance of nine feet from the
- Operators must have sufficient liability insurance (a minimum of $500,000) or
proof of membership in an organization such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) which
includes the required insurance coverage with membership.
- Observe and adhere to any additional regulations or rules that are posted or published by the
flying site organization. (GPARCS).